A new year fast approaches. What will you accomplish in your writing?
by Shirley Holder Platt
Whether you are considering a list of resolutions or only have a foggy idea of what you hope the coming days will bring, creating good writing habits is a worthy goal.
Each writer is different, therefore, each of us will have our own set of new habits to develop.
For myself, the first rule of thumb is to play to my strengths. For instance, I am not a morning person. My brain gets moving around 10 a.m., so attempting to write first thing after waking will never be a good habit for me to develop. Instead, I might decide to jot down ideas as they come, then seriously sit down to write after 10 each day.
Yours could be to get twenty minutes of writing in after the kids are in bed. Just be sure to stay realistic.
General wisdom tells us a few things about forming new habits. Here are 5 for you to consider:
1. Don’t try to do it all starting January 1st. Pick one new habit and hold off on the others until the first is in place.
2. Give it a month. Some say three weeks, but a month should cement it.
3. Hold yourself accountable. You might consider partnering with another author. Reporting progress can be a great motivator.
4. Reward yourself. I love cookies. One of my rewards for writing the number of words I’ve set as a goal for myself each day is to enjoy a cookie. My sweet tooth is a great cheerleader when ideas are coming slowly.
5. Practice not judging yourself. Forming a new habit is a lifestyle change and won’t necessarily come easy. Be kind to yourself when you forget and simply decide to start again the next day.
I sincerely hope you have a fantastic 2020, no matter what goals you set. Remember, perfectionism is not a goal but a hindrance. Happy New Year!
Shirley Holder Platt is the author of twelve romance, one chick lit, and one romantic mystery novel. She has one crime/comedy novel, Mama Needs New Shoes, that won the October 2018 Most Buzz Award. Several of her now-published novels appeared first on ChapterBuzz.
P.S. Your friends will love this article. And they’ll love you for sharing it with them: